Thursday, September 11, 2008

Latir lambs

Sept. 11 - A few days ago I managed to get up into the high country in northern NM. It was great to be in that world again. As I ascended I was surprised to find the first fallen gold apen leaves on the trail. The rushing streams and deep spruce-fir forest around 10,000 ft soothed my soul. An unexpected bonus was finding an abundance of chanterelles, after a disapointing 'shroom season near Santa Fe. After passing a well-used elk wallow I arrived at tree-line to find a herd of bighorn sheep grazing on the grassy slopes above me. They were not unduly alarmed by my presence, and I was able to get very close to them. When I sat down, some of them approached to within 20 ft or so. Another herd joined them and I took a lot of photos. There were a few of this years lambs staying close to their mothers. Up on the ridge line I got to see a variety of raptors, including a pair of golden eagles, a harrier, a coopers, a sharp-shinned, and a small falcon.(The evening before I had seen a peregrine passing over the ridge) Fall migration is underway.  I saw many marmots and pikas in the rock fields, and Clarks nutcrackers noisily going about their business. 

No comments: