Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Southern Sojourn


Dec. 17- Back in Santa Fe after being down south for more than 3 weeks. The day I left (Dec.15) I saw ants and butterflies, and some flowers in bloom. I'd been hearing crickets every night. By the time I got to Socorro it was freezing and when I got to Santa Fe there was about 8 inches of snow on the ground. From summer to winter in two days.
I spent almost all of my time hiking and camping in the Florida Mountains near Deming. Its a really rugged place, full of rocks, cactus and thorns. It was like bootcamp for couch potatoes. I saw more shooting stars in 3 weeks than I've seen in a year of "normal" life. I also saw lots of Persian Ibex, and golden eagles. Quail and roadrunners ("Paisano"or countryman to Mexicans) were also common. A few times I saw Peregrines, Prairie falcons, Merlins, and Pyrrhuloxias(a beautiful desert cardinal). Northern harriers were common over the mesquite flats and grasslands. Accipiters hunted the mountain and the valley.


No comments: